Did you know that you can save an avocado pip, and use it to grow your own avocado tree? That's right. Free avocado tree. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
What you'll need:
- Avocado pip
- 4 Toothpicks
- Glass or jar
- Sunny windowsill
How it works:
1. Wash the seed thoroughly. You don't want any leftover avocado goo clinging on.
2. Take your toothpicks and place them on the front, back, left and right sides of the avocado. Don't push the toothpicks in too deep - just enough that they are secure.
3. Suspend the pip, large side down, over your jar of water. The water should cover about 2cm of seed.
4. Put it in a warm place and replenish water as needed. You should see roots and stem sprout in about two to six weeks.
5. When the stem is six to seven inches long, cut it back to about three inches.
6. When the roots are thick and the stem has leafed out again, plant it in a pot filled with rich potting mix, leaving the seed half exposed.
Share your results with the FYA community!